Thursday, March 15, 2018

Forever a #ToysRUsKid

My time at #ToysRUs is sadly coming to an end. Many friends, including myself, are looking for our next gig. Please reach out if you see anything in the creative services field (copywriter, copy manager, content writer, social strategist, graphic designer, copy editor, proofreader, animator, copy director, creative director). These are some of the most talented, hardest working people I know and it's been a pleasure working alongside them.
They say you can tell how long someone's worked for TRU by the number of Geoffrey plush they have. I have enough to fill my boys' arms. I started with TRU in the middle of September, which is the kickoff to our digital holiday season (print had already been in full swing since the spring!). It was a young writer's dream- writing about toys and play instead of pharmaceuticals or finances. I loved the rush of Black Friday. The late-night push to get jobs out the door. I remember telling Shawn (my then boyfriend!) that it was exciting but it was too hectic and that if non-holiday season work was the same pace, I'd be looking for a new job. (And it was. But I stayed.)
That was nearly 9 years ago. In my time with TRU I've gotten engaged and married. I excitedly announced my first pregnancy and registered with BabiesRUs for everything my Owen needed. Through the loss of my father, the birth of little Wyatt and welcoming my nephew into my home, my TRU family was by my side...even helping to furnish Jack's new room and giving me time to get him acclimated to a new environment.
These past 8.5 years have creatively challenged me more than words can express. I've been given the honor of experiencing things like helping facilitate an in-hospital birthday visit from Geoffrey to a cancer-stricken toddler. Because all kids love and deserve to play, no matter the circumstances. I've brought Owen with me to work so many times because my supervisors know how hard it is to be a working mom. I marched with a band through ToysRUs Times Square as we welcomed children of fallen FDNY to our holiday party...helping them forget their worries if only for a few hours. I've answered my desk phone only to be surprised by a tiny voice on the other end asking if we had his favorite action figure for sale. (Yes, we did.) And I've run to the store with my own kids to celebrate milestones big and small...watching their eyes light up at the sight of "millions of toys at ToysRUs."
It's been an exciting, crazy ride. And one day I'll tell my grandkids stories about that time I worked in the advertising department of what was once the world's biggest toy store.
Oh, and please stop posting crying Geoffrey memes. Geoffrey is never sad. And I'm hopeful you'll see him again. Forever a #ToysRUsKid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Romantic Movie & TV Scenes

I love Valentine's Day. I love pink and red. I love hearts. SO MANY HEARTS. (It's a documented fact that girls born in the 80s love ...